Prestige Car Maker Finds Solution to Polystyrene Waste
Rolls Royce Motor Cars is always looking to be greener and recycle more materials from their production site in Chichester. One waste material that was difficult to recycle was Polystyrene, that was until the company’s waste contractor Biffa, suggested a Styromelt™ Thermal Densifier. More..
New Polystyrene Compactor - Star Business
Tackling the polystyrene mountain - From the Sheffield Star.
From Polystyrene to Picture Frames
Uses of Polystyrene:
Polystyrene products include fish boxes and food service packaging e.g. cups, plates, bowls, trays, clamshells, meat trays, egg cartons, yogurt and cottage cheese containers and cutlery.
Also protective packaging such as shaped end pieces used to ship electronic goods and loose fill "peanuts".
Polystyrene Recycling System | StyroMelt™ (b)
Click to download a
Turn This Waste
Into This Product !
Featured in the Sheffield Star
Drawbacks of Hydraulic Compaction
Typical compaction rates of approximately only one third means that storing the compacted Polystyrene is still an issue.
Hydraulic compactors also do not deal with Polystyrene contaminated with blood, organic matter or other similar materials and liquids.
• Hydraulic compactors are generally slow and noisy and labour intensive.
• Plastic has ‘memory’ and this can induce blockages, particularly if material is wet.
• Hydraulic compactors normally require a full time operator.
• The degree of compaction is limited and the compacted material can create dust and other airborne or surface litter pollution.
• Expensive moving parts inside the compactor can become damaged if foreign objects are accidentally put into the machine.